Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Next Level Aviation® Appoints Mike Fleener as Senior Vice President of Global Sales

    August 19, 2026

    SOUEAST UAE launches S08 Luxury following the success of the Flagship S08DM

    August 19, 2026

    DRC Ebola outbreak sets national death toll record

    August 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Rabat BuzzRabat Buzz
    • Automotive
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Health
    • Lifestyle
    • Luxury
    • News
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Travel
    Rabat BuzzRabat Buzz
    Home » Measles outbreak in Bangladesh leaves toll at 415
    Health

    Measles outbreak in Bangladesh leaves toll at 415

    May 12, 2026
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Reddit WhatsApp Email

    DHAKA, BANGLADESH / MENA Newswire / — Bangladesh’s Directorate General of Health Services said the combined death toll tied to the country’s measles outbreak had risen to 415 by May 11, after six more children died in the previous 24 hours. The total includes 65 laboratory-confirmed measles deaths and 350 deaths in children who showed measles-like symptoms. Health officials also reported 50,500 suspected cases nationwide and 6,937 infections confirmed by laboratory testing, underscoring the scale of an outbreak that has spread rapidly since mid-March.

    Measles outbreak in Bangladesh leaves toll at 415
    Bangladesh health response intensifies as measles cases spread across districts. (Credit – WAM)

    Government and international health data show the outbreak has affected all eight divisions and reached most districts of the country. The World Health Organization said Bangladesh had reported transmission in 58 of 64 districts by mid-April and assessed the national risk as high. WHO also said 79% of reported cases were in children younger than five, including about one-third in infants under nine months, the age group most vulnerable to severe complications and least likely to have full protection.

    Dhaka has remained the main center of transmission and mortality, followed by Rajshahi and Chattogram, according to regional public health updates based on Bangladeshi government data. Hospitals have faced a heavy caseload as admissions climbed with the spread of measles and measles-like illness. Since March 15, 35,980 suspected patients have been hospitalized and 31,992 have recovered, according to the latest official figures, showing the sustained pressure on pediatric wards and emergency treatment capacity.

    Measles vaccination campaign expands

    The government began an emergency measles-rubella vaccination campaign on April 5 in 30 upazilas across 18 high-risk districts, then expanded it to city corporation areas before launching a nationwide phase on April 20. The campaign targets children aged six to 59 months, regardless of previous vaccination status. Health authorities have presented the drive as the central measure to curb transmission after immunity gaps in routine coverage left large numbers of children exposed to one of the world’s most contagious viral diseases.

    UNICEF and WHO have supported the campaign alongside the government, providing technical, operational and supply assistance as Bangladesh moved from hotspot containment to a national response. WHO said earlier in the outbreak that more than 19,000 suspected cases and nearly 3,000 confirmed cases had been recorded by April 14, with children under five accounting for the overwhelming majority. Those figures have since risen sharply, highlighting how quickly the outbreak intensified over a period of weeks.

    Coverage rises as outbreak remains active

    Officials said on May 9 that 17,268,908 children had received a measles-rubella vaccine dose, equivalent to 96% of the campaign’s target of 18 million children. The nationwide program was scheduled to continue until May 12 outside city corporation areas and until May 20 in the remaining city corporation zones. Health authorities have said cases have started to decline in some places where full vaccination coverage was achieved early, though the national outbreak has continued to generate new daily admissions and confirmed infections.

    Even with that progress, the official death count continued to climb in the latest daily update, showing that the vaccination drive and hospital response are running alongside an active outbreak rather than after it. The latest data point to a nationwide child health emergency, with case detection, treatment and immunization still moving at scale as Bangladesh continues efforts to contain transmission and reduce further loss of life.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn WhatsApp Reddit Email

    Related Posts

    DRC malaria cases surpass 26 million in 2025

    August 17, 2026

    DR Congo Ebola death toll tops 1,900 as cases rise

    August 11, 2026

    Obesity linked to 8.2% of Belgium deaths in new health report

    August 8, 2026

    Papa Johns teams up with Disney and Pixar for Toy Story 5

    August 7, 2026

    Moderna begins Ebola vaccine trial amid DR Congo outbreak

    August 5, 2026

    Michigan reports first deaths tied to cyclospora outbreak

    August 4, 2026
    Latest News
    News

    DRC Ebola outbreak sets national death toll record

    August 17, 2026

    The latest figures deepen concerns raised days earlier as infections and deaths continued climbing across eastern DRC. United Nations humanitarian chief Tom Fletcher said the virus was killing one person every 30 minutes. The outbreak has expanded at an exceptional pace since authorities formally announced it in May. Confirmed infections had already surpassed the total recorded during the 2018 to 2020 outbreak by late July, making the current epidemic the country’s largest by case count.

    DRC malaria cases surpass 26 million in 2025

    August 17, 2026

    South Korea auto exports reach $6.24 billion in July

    August 14, 2026

    Total solar eclipse crosses Russian Arctic and Europe

    August 13, 2026

    Etihad sets December start for Abu Dhabi Gothenburg flights

    August 13, 2026

    International Youth Day 2026 puts youth inclusion in focus

    August 13, 2026
    © 2026 Rabat Buzz | All Rights Reserved
    • Home
    • Contact Us

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.