Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Next Level Aviation® Appoints Mike Fleener as Senior Vice President of Global Sales

    August 19, 2026

    SOUEAST UAE launches S08 Luxury following the success of the Flagship S08DM

    August 19, 2026

    Indonesia 6.1 earthquake rattles North Sumatra coast

    August 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Rabat BuzzRabat Buzz
    • Automotive
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Health
    • Lifestyle
    • Luxury
    • News
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Travel
    Rabat BuzzRabat Buzz
    Home » Asian Games in China postponed due to mass spread of COVID-19
    Sports

    Asian Games in China postponed due to mass spread of COVID-19

    May 6, 2022
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Reddit WhatsApp Email

    After Beijing hosted the Winter Olympics and Paralympics, the Olympic Council of Asia said Friday that this year’s Asian Games in China have been postponed because of concerns over the spreading of the omicron variant of COVID-19 in China. After talks with local organizers and the Chinese Olympic Committee, the OCA said it would announce new dates in the near future.

    Asian Games in China postponed due to mass spread of COVID-19From September 10 to 25, the Asian Games would be held in the eastern city of Hangzhou and would be attended by more than 11,000 athletes, more than the typical Summer Olympics. The last Asian Games were held in Jakarta, Indonesia in 2018. Another major multi-sport event, the World University Games, has been postponed, organizers announced on Friday.

    These meetings were originally scheduled for last year, but they were postponed until 2022. They were scheduled for June 26 to July 7 in Chengdu, a western city. It was estimated that about 6,000 athletes would participate. Switzerland-based International University Sports Federation, which organizes the games, said they will take place in 2023 but didn’t provide a specific date.

    Both events were expected to be conducted with the same closed-loop system that was in place during the Olympics and Paralympics in Beijing. Beijing required daily tests and frequent temperature checks for everyone involved in the games to ensure that athletes and media were kept isolated from the general population.

    Both events seem to be impossible to hold because of the spread of the Omicron variant and the lockdown in Shanghai and Beijing. This is despite the fact that organizers only a few weeks ago said both events would proceed as planned. The OCA also announced that the Asian Youth Games, which were scheduled from December 20 to 28 in Shantou, China, would be canceled. The youth games, which had already been postponed once, will next be held in 2025 in Tashkent, Uzbekistan.

    As of Friday, there have been 4,628 new COVID-19 cases reported in China, a figure which, according to social media reports as well as international news channels, clearly underreports the true number of cases. It has been reported that the vast majority of asymptomatic cases have been detected in Shanghai, China’s largest city, situated approximately 177 kilometers (110 miles) east of Hangzhou.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn WhatsApp Reddit Email

    Related Posts

    Portugal fall to Spain as Ronaldo legacy closes

    July 7, 2026

    Brazil exits World Cup after Norway Round of 16 victory

    July 6, 2026

    Oyarzabal brace sends Spain past Austria at World Cup

    July 3, 2026

    Mexico advances after 2-0 win over Ecuador in World Cup

    July 2, 2026

    Harry Kane lifts England into World Cup round of 16

    July 2, 2026

    Norway reach World Cup knockouts with 3-2 Senegal win

    June 24, 2026
    Latest News
    News

    Indonesia 6.1 earthquake rattles North Sumatra coast

    August 19, 2026

    Indonesia’s Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics Agency, known as BMKG, located the earthquake at 0.65 degrees south latitude and 98.32 degrees east longitude. Its intensity data showed the strongest reported shaking in North Tapanuli, where residents experienced intensity IV. Several areas in West Sumatra also recorded noticeable tremors. The earthquake reached communities in Padang, Padang Pariaman, Pariaman, West Pasaman and Agam. Residents across other parts of Sumatra also reported shaking after the magnitude 6.1 earthquake. The National Disaster Mitigation Agency, or BNPB, said the earthquake had no potential to generate a tsunami. Residents in South Nias felt weak shaking for about three to five seconds. Local disaster offices began monitoring affected areas after the tremor, while the initial national bulletin provided no confirmed casualty or damage figures.

    DRC Ebola outbreak sets national death toll record

    August 17, 2026

    DRC malaria cases surpass 26 million in 2025

    August 17, 2026

    South Korea auto exports reach $6.24 billion in July

    August 14, 2026

    Total solar eclipse crosses Russian Arctic and Europe

    August 13, 2026

    Etihad sets December start for Abu Dhabi Gothenburg flights

    August 13, 2026
    © 2026 Rabat Buzz | All Rights Reserved
    • Home
    • Contact Us

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.